At the conclusion of Sunday’s Oscar’s, the one thing that stood out more than the abysmal writing of the show was the fact that royalty conquered pop culture. The King’s Speech took home Best Picture and Thomas Hooper for Best Director, with the latter being the only real surprise of the evening. While personally I wanted the Black Swan and Darren Aronofsky to win, knowing that The Social Network didn’t nab top honors surely helped.
Here’s some of the nights most notable moments
- Natalie Portman wins for her amazing performance in the Black Swan. Even though Annette Bening rightfully deserved it as well, Natalie’s performance was the best of her career.
- Melissa Leo dropping the “F” bomb was quite fitting to the character she played. Maybe she’s a method actor.
- Anytime Florence of Florence and Machine graces the stage moments before Gwyneth Paltrow is pretty awesome.
- Helena Bonham Carter’s reaction after her name was announced was priceless. It was a mixture of “please don’t clap for me I know I’m going to lose and I have such an amazing personality.”
- James Franco sucked while Anne Hathaway was overdoing it to make his lack of enthusiasm, which to be honest he never has unless he’s playing a pothead.
- Who wrote the show’s script?! So many bad and awkward jokes starting with “it was a good year for lesbians… Toy Story 3? Where’s the dad?” Where’s your brain?! Did we really need to hear about Robert Downey Jr’s past mishaps AGAIN? Every award show has been doing it and it’s still not funny! Having the “hip” Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis use an app to change the scenery was just corny and confusing.
- Best Original Screenplay going to The Kings Speech. This was the one award I don’t believe they deserved. If it’s based on something
Without disrespect to Anne, who is so talented, this years show just proved that making decisions to lure a younger social media loving audience is a mistake. It was just as big a loser as anyone who thought The Social Network actually deserved Best Picture.
What did you think of the show?